Just a bit of a Reflection

Thursday 31 December 2015

Dear 2015,

I wouldn't call you the best year I've ever had, as there have been some pretty awesome moments and some not so good ones. Thankfully the bad hasn't outweighed the good, and a good part of that had to do with how I handled things, both mentally and physically. It's been a rough couple of months recently, and for me to be able to still hold my head steady without completely breaking down (like I did back in 3rd year university), has been a dormant metamorphosis that I had not realized I had been undergoing until someone commented on it. I hadn't realized my strength, and while I still have quite a bit to work on, it gives me hope. Earlier this year, I didn't set new year's resolutions (because that never sticks). Rather, I told myself to try to make progress on the following:

1) Drink more water
2) Stop caring too much about things that don't matter
3) Stop validating yourself through other people's words

Funny enough, a friend's birthday gift (a 500ml mug) has partially contributed to my consuming of more water so far (though, I still need to be more consistent... it hasn't been so as of late). The latter two, I'm still working on, and will continuously work on. And really, those two (plus a couple of other things I'll add later on), just boil down to being happier in general. I mean, usually I'm a decently content person I suppose, but sometimes, certain memories plague my thoughts and affect me all too much. Often times I end up beating myself over them and being overly critical of myself... So with that in mind, this is what I hope to work on in 2016 (along with the original 3 points above):

4) Don't let your past haunt you/don't be too jaded
5) Actively seek out what the root of a problem is, and actually do something about it
6) Keep striving/don't be complacent, but know the difference between being complacent and being happy

Along the way, I've also learned some important life lessons this year. I realized I still need to be more assertive when I say "no", but also, I shouldn't have to overcompensate for others and explain myself continuously when a simple "no" should suffice. I've lost some friends but I also gained new ones, along with more bonding with certain existing friends. I unexpectedly grew even closer to my Australian cousin. And for once, I had forgotten that I am an only child and felt what it was like to "have a sister". I went tent camping for the first time. Canoeing was a first too. I still have some things I want to do that will carry over into 2016 for sure, but for the sake of this reflection, I can safely say that 2015 has been quite the eye-opening year for me. There may be another year or two that trumps it later on, but for now, for now, I'll stick with that title. As most cases go, I sit in the final hours of 2015 hoping that 2016 will be an even better year. It'll be interesting, I have a feeling about that.

2016: More knowledge/more life lessons, more adventure, more laughter, more humility. Let it begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment